Since mid-December 2019 I have been trying to update my SCCM lab environment from 1906 to 1910. For the first few weeks of release it was in the early update ring, but no matter how many times I ran the PowerShell script to enable early updating, the update would not appear in the Updates and Servicing node in SCCM.
Oh well, no matter, I thought. Perhaps it’s buggy and has been pulled, or maybe there’s just some odd reason my environment isn’t compatible. I’ll just wait for the general release.
General release comes and goes… and still no update. What’s going on?! I am 100% certain that my Service connection point is set to Online, I have restarted the SMS_EXECUTIVE service so many times, and also restarted the whole server just to be as thorough as possible! I know my server has internet connectivity because the Software update point is happily downloading and applying the January 2020 updates to my servers and clients. And finally, I have checked dmpdownloader.log, CMUpdate.log and hman.log and there are no obvious errors in there to tell me why I’m not seeing the latest update.
(Okay – that paragraph was a overblown way to tell you what you should definitely check if you haven’t already, before you continue to read).
So, what was going on?
Delving a little deeper in the hman.log file, I did find the following two errors:
CServerStatusReporter::DeliverToStatusManager(): ERROR: Cannot deliver status message to SMS_STATUS_MANAGER, could not write the message to varfile E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\statmgr.box\statmsgs\90sna58w.SVF due to a file error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
Error: Failed to move file E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\hman.box\ForwardingMsg\___CABConfigMgr.Update.Manifest.MCM to E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\hman.box\CFD\ConfigMgr.Update.Manifest.CAB, Win32 error = 1392
When I attempted to navigate to “E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\statmgr.box\statmsgs” I got an error message telling me the location was corrupted and unreadable!
I got the same error when I tried to navigate to “E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\hman.box\CFD”. I’m not entirely certain how these two locations became corrupted, but thankfully Windows Explorer allowed me to rename them to “statmsgs.old” and “CFD.old” respectively, and then re-create the folders.
Once I restarted the SMS_EXECUTIVE service once more, hman.log finally filled up with information about the new update and the download proceeded. Finally, I have my update!
In all seriousness, this may be a very marginal case and may not be the reason you can’t see the latest update for SCCM. However, it seemed worth documenting; just in case someone else has the same symptom!
I would suggest clicking Check for updates in the Updates and Servicing node and then paying close attention to your hman.log file for any errors similar to the ones I found. Bear in mind that it might be different folders that cause errors for you, so keep an eye out for any errors with files being moved between inboxes.
Anyway, I’m off to go play with new SCCM features…!